There are a lot of transitions that happen when you have a
baby.
You go from a couple to a family
You go from sleeping as much as you want, to propping your
eyelids open with toothpicks
You make it through the hellish newborn days to transition
to the fun sitter/crawler/cruiser days
All along this journey you celebrate all the little
milestones- the first time they sleep more than 2 hours in a row, the first
smile, the first unsupported sit, the first crawl, the first pull-up to a
standing position, the first cruise around the furniture.
And then comes a day when you realize that your baby is really growing up… and rapidly becoming
less and less of a baby with each passing day.
This happened yesterday.
We got a letter from Austin’s daycare that he is ready to be
transitioned into the Wobbler room.
Austin is bigger than all the other infants in his room, and
days away from walking (I know, scary right???? He’s already taking one or two wobbly little
steps- slow down kid!!!), so he is quickly outgrowing the learning experiences
in his Infant Room.
There was just something so definite, so “your baby isn't a
baby anymore” when I was reading his welcome letter from the Wobbler room. He’s
going to need shoes, because they go outside every day that its nice. He’ll
learn how to use eating utensils, and how to nap on more of a schedule. He’ll
take part in more structured learning experiences centered around different
developmental subjects.
It just seemed like…. well…. REAL SCHOOL.
Different subjects? Lunch all together where the food isn't smeared in their hair? Outside recess??
And I lost it. I sat down. I cried. I wanted my baby to stop
growing up so fast.
Neal told me it was ok, and this was “the first of many”
transitions in Austin’s life and each one was going to be exciting.
I told him that’s true, but I’ll still cry over every single
one. That’s what Moms do.
We cry when they get a big-kid bed.
We cry when they go to Kindergarten.
We cry when they graduate High School.
We cry when they go to college.
We cry when they get married.
The road ahead is paved with a lot of change, and transitions,
and new experiences… and I am truly
excited to see what kind of man Austin is going to grow up to be (hopefully a
man as good as his Daddy)…
But the road is also paved in a lot of tears.
Bring on the Kleenex.
| All ready for the road ahead! |
No comments:
Post a Comment