It was a common question as soon as we found our second kiddo (Owen) was also a boy...
"Well, better have three and try for that girl!"
"When are you gonna try and get that girl???"
Answer: we aren't.
I’m the Mom of two boys... and vasectomy willing... that's what I'll always be.
![]() |
My life is everything trucks, dirt, sports, worms, bugs, sports, swords, Ninja Turtles, climbing furniture, wrestling, and playing (a little) too rough sometimes.
They are going to grow up to be young men that eat whole boxes of cereal in one sitting, claim they are starving 4 minutes after a huge dinner, and leave sweaty socks all over their rooms.
And I couldn’t be happier, or feel more content in that this is what was meant to be for me, and that I was given the children I was best suited to raise.
Let me back up a bit...
Most little girls talk or at least think about their future kids and family. I remember being in middle school and thinking how cool it would be to be a Mom to boys. I was curious to know what went on in houses full of boys.. and boy slumber parties… and as a Mom to boys, I’d be an insider to all that knowledge!
That feeling of wanting sons stayed with me all the way into adulthood… I just never felt a strong desire to have a daughter.
Sure, baby girls are super cute, and sweet and don’t get me started on the clothes!!!
#SoDamnCute
I love baby girls… I just didn’t really want one for myself. I really didn't.
I was a moody teenager (you should see my journals... life was SO HARD GUYS). I struggled with self-esteem, confidence, standing up for myself, not falling prey to charming boys who didn’t mean well.
I struggled with relationships... I'd change who I was to try and please the guy, I'd try way too hard to make guys love me, and sometimes.. well, I'd act a little on the crazy side when they didn't like me that much or break up with me.
Thankfully, I just needed to grow up a bit and mature, and I ended up with an awesome husband.
I’m finally secure in my skin and am happy with who I am.
But reflecting back on all of this, and all the emotional crap I had to overcome to get to this point of self-acceptance… It turns off my desire to ever raise a daughter.
Girls are hard.
Maybe I’m wrong, and given the chance I would have done a GREAT job raising a girl ("here are all the mistakes I made.. don't do the same!!!") .. but when we started our family, I just didn’t see myself connecting with a daughter well.
As much as you may not believe it, I’m not a huge “girly girl." I'm not a huge fan of the color pink, or princess things.... and those themes are just everywhere for little girls... it's hard to avoid.
And I was scared to try and raise a strong independent girl when I myself don't always feel like that.
As much as you may not believe it, I’m not a huge “girly girl." I'm not a huge fan of the color pink, or princess things.... and those themes are just everywhere for little girls... it's hard to avoid.
And I was scared to try and raise a strong independent girl when I myself don't always feel like that.
I just felt in my gut that I would relate better to boys, and enjoy raising boys more. I hoped for boys during both my pregnancies because deep down I knew that I was going to connect better with boys.
Why?
Why?
Well, I love to cook and I express my love for people by making dinners, muffins, treats.. etc. Who appreciates that a lot?
And I’m an introvert who NEEDS alone time to be happy. This is going to be more possible with boys. They can head to a baseball game with Daddy and let me have my hour or two of re-energizing alone time.. and probably come home to warm chocolate chip cookies...
I love to be a supporter.... I want to sit in the bleachers and cheer on my boys, offer them kisses when they get hurt, snacks to share with their team, and be their unconditional love.
I think I was meant to be a boy Mom. I really do. And I feel very lucky and fortunate to have the kids I feel I was meant to have.
| Sometimes I even participate in the sports!!! |
So to all those who will comment in the future to "keep on trying for that girl!" or "third time is a charm! You'll get your girl!" I will say thanks but no thanks!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment