Probably every Mom out there is familiar with the Elf on the Shelf game/activity/whatever-it-may-be thing at Christmas time.
Last year Austin was obviously too young to even know what Christmas was.. he just enjoyed all wrapping paper and messing with the tree.
This year though, since he is more aware and teaching him to be good and thoughtful and kind are part of our everyday routine.. it's making me think that maybe we should do the Elf.
Now, before I had a kid, I thought this was creepy and ridiculous.
An Elf (who nonetheless looks like he's from a 1950's du-wop group with that hair swoop on his forehead) who is in a different place each morning that you tell you kid is "watching" him all the time so they make sure to be good? Creepy........ super duper creepy. I don't like the idea of any doll-like creature lurking around at night.
And not only that, but this Elf causes mischief? Annoying.
A lot of the Elf on the Shelf stuff I've seen on Pinterest fall under the "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That" category in that I'd have to set this stuff up and then CLEAN it up the following day.. all December long:
Maybe I'm super lame but when I think about the total 30 mins I have to myself at night after Austin goes to be and before I go to bed.. this just doesn't seem like the way I want to spend those 30 mins.. or leave a mess that was made as I rush out the door to work and then have to deal with it in the evening.
But... (there is always a but)... knowing Austin's personality and his delight over things that are silly, I think he might enjoy the Elf experience.
So I'm torn..
Get the Elf and not be an amazingly creative over-the-top Mom who makes it a magical experience (our Elf would probably just sit in different spots each day)... or just skip it entirely and miss out on delighting my kid and creating a holiday tradition?
Moms- thoughts? Are you going to start the Elf tradition?





5 comments:
No. No I am not. Over the top and a little ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I agree with you wholeheartedly, who wants to make a mess just to clean it up themselves?!!
What about doing something every other day? and on the off days giving him a dollar tree or dollar target bin book to open in the morning? My girlfriend since her kids were little did an advent calendar but she gives them small toys each day instead of candy. Just ideas since you are such a busy Mama. You could always do it on weekend though when Neal is around to help! Or maybe Austin would enjoy helping clean up the messes too?!
I think it ultimately comes down to: what is this little guy actually doing to help/guide your child's understanding of Christmas? If it's just about doing something fun every day to bring delight (and tradition) to the season, I agree with doing a version of the advent calendar. Neal and I loved it and there's so many new and unique ideas out there now for everyday toys/gifts/etc. I found one that was to open a new book each day (Austin would love that!). I think the Elf tradition is cute, but I agree with all your reasons to NOT do it. Too busy! And, personally, I think that your precious time spent on starting a family tradition should be for something that expresses the REASON for Christmas, not just to trick kids to 'be good' or Santa won't come. Loves!
We are not doing it. I want to try to come up with my own traditions...but if you think he will enjoy it and you feel like you would enjoy it, go ahead. I wish I had come up with that creepy elf...that person has got to be as rich as the inventor of the pillow pet. Sheesh.
We do the elf, but he does not "watch" my kids (agreed- CREEPY) and I don't get all crazy with it. I move it to some different place every night after they go to bed and they get a kick out of who finds him first in the morning. That's it. No pinteresty shenanigans for our creepy looking elf. No way. I definitely don't have time for that. The wildest I get is that our elf hides in our Christmas tree sometimes.
Post a Comment