Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Breaking the Habit- Up!

I think every new Mom is worried about what habits they are creating in their children.

Will they still need a binkie when they are 14? Will they have to sleep with a sound machine the rest of their lives?

Things like that.

One of the pieces of 'advice' I know all  new moms hear is to not pick up or hold your baby too much or you will spoil him.

Ok, so I'm here to clear up that little rumor/piece of advice.

Holding and picking up your baby when it is a BABY will not spoil him or her. Austin was a third appendage to me for months.

I TRIED to put him down, but he WOULD HAVE NONE OF IT. You've heard it from me before.. I had to go to the bathroom with him strapped to me, I couldn't shower until Neal got home at night and I ate nothing but crackers because they were easy to eat one-handed.

My baby was not spoiled. He got a bit older.. and every time I held him, he wanted down. Lurched for the ground.

Lemme down, lemme down, lemme down.. I want to EXPLORE!!!

Months of endless holding him did NOT turn him into a clingy older baby who only wanted to be held. Not in the slightest.

Then... then, we entered toddler hood and Austin started to vocalize when he wanted to be held.

"Up, up up up up up uppppppppppppp up up up up"

And what did we do?

We picked him up.

Every time.

People- take note... THIS IS WHEN YOU START CREATING A HABIT THAT SUCKS... WHEN THEY ARE A TODDLER.

I told Neal the other night that it is time to cold-turkey break Austin's habit of getting picked up whenever he asks/begs/whines/pulls our clothes.

It. Has. Become. Really. Annoying.

Every time we are walking around at home... getting a snack, making coffee, doing dishes, putting away groceries, anything other than sitting in the living room with him it's the same thing.

"Up up up up up up uppppppppppppppp up up uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-puuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh up up up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We've tried reasoning with  him. Telling him he can't pick him up because we have our hands full, or in soapy dish water, or cooking on the hot stove, but he still persists.. this time with clothes grabbing.

"Up up up up up up uppppppppppppppp up up uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-puuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh up up up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So. We created a monster.

A toddler monster who demands to be picked up anytime we are standing so he can see what is going on.

We should have stopped as soon as Austin was aware he was getting picked up whenever he wanted.. around his 1-year mark... but no.... we kept doing it for 11 more months.

Why?

Because whining is annoying and it got him to stop.

Parent cop-out, right there.

So now, no more.. it's going to be a rough few months with a lot of whining and tantrums but he needs to learn he can't get picked up every time he whines about it.

So remember today's lesson.. take it from the girl who learned the hard way.

Baby picking up= sweet cuddles and your baby needs it.

Toddler picking up= you have become the slave to a demanding little overlord who will pull your pants down the second you don't give into his requests.

Anyone want to send some wine our way to go with the whine we are undoubtedly  going to deal with???

No comments: