Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Project 857- November 21

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on this blog!!! I've been really concentrating on my public blog and this little family journal of mine got put on the back burner.

Forgive me!!!

I have some Saturdays to catch up on!

November 20th was Nealo's birthday so I planned a surprise for him for the weekend. It had been a long time since we've done anything for his birthday so I thought this would be the perfect time.

Austin spent the night over at Papa and Pete's and got his little backpack stuffed to the brim with clothes, movies and his nightly bedmates... Who-Zoo, Who-Boo, (the mice) Otty, (the otter) Bronty, (the T-Rex... umm... the name isn't so accurate...) and was ready to go!



He was saying "sleepover at Papa's!!!" in that last photo.

Owen went to my parent's for the night and had fun bonding with Gramma and Grampa all by himself! It was his first time there without Austin or Mommy and Daddy. He had fun!

I kept our destination a secret until it was time for Neal to pack and for us to leave... we were on our way to McMenamin's Edgefield!!!


All the things Neal loves... beer, hanging out, golf... I thought it would be perfect!

It was WINDY as all hell and SO COLD that it made being outside a little bit impossible. We had lunch inside and watched the Ducks game and then braved the cold to play the round of golf I booked for us.

I love the little clubhouse building you check in at for the golf.. it's old and super warm thanks to the stove.. they serve drinks and you can basically just live there.


We made it through 8 of the 12 holes on the golf course, but it was just too freezing with the windy whipping 100mph (ok, that's an exaggeration.. but you know what I mean). 


We warmed up in the little shed bar they have there...I forget what it's called.. the Little Shed or the Red Shed or something. It used to house the hotel's generator, back when it was a working Poor Farm.. so this building is TINY. Literally a bar, a fireplace, and 4 tables.

We sat in the lean-to area that used to house the wood and watched a couple outside the window freeze and act like they weren't freezing while they got engagement pictures taken.



Then since we really needed to warm up we headed to the soaking pool!

It was AMAZING... it's salt water, just slightly cooler than a hottub... like a warm bath temperature, and about 3ft deep so you just float and sit on the seats and drink your beer/wine.

Not to mention it's super fun to tromp around the grounds, and walk into different bars in your bathrobe! Seriously, we actually did that.. Neal wanted a certain flavor of beer they only had at the main restaurant bar so we walked in wearing our robes. I told the bartender "please tell me other people do this all the time" and he just kind of chuckled.


After a few hours of soaking we had dinner (big old awesome McMenamin's burgers!) went back to the soaking pool (because, why not??) played pool at one of the bars for awhile and then decided to call it a night around 9:30pm

This is when we discovered we are officially old.

Around 9:45pm... a huge party erupted in the two rooms on either sides of our room. See, those rooms were the Hostel rooms... just huge rooms of bunk beds they book out for cheap.

Apparently one big group of people booked one room and they were slamming back and forth between the rooms, blasting music, screaming, singing "Happy Birthday" really loud, and making mind-shattering exclamations... "OMG! Are we wearing the same SWEATER??? hahahahahaha!!!"

So when you are in your 30's like Neal and I, and don't get alone time often... you aren't as willing to put up with that kind of shit.

Especially since I paid almost $200 for this "luxury King room."

Which is terribly located between the Hostel rooms.

So we packed, went down to the lobby and tried to move rooms.

They were booked.

Well, I wasn't willing to listen to that all night, and we were away from our kids!!! That is supposed to mean rest and relaxation!!!

So we drove home.

Whomp Whomp.

Happy Amazing Birthday Weekend Away Nealo!!!


No comments: