Neal and I were talking the other day about what Owen's first word was.
Has he said a first word yet?
Honestly, we were trying to figure it out. I guess it depends on what you consider a baby's first word..
I mean, they ALL say "mama" or "ma" or "mamamamama" at some point... so I know a lot of people don't count "mama" as a first word.
Owen calls me "meh-ma" and it's a different pronunciation from milk which is "mamamamama" soo... that one we aren't counting.
There was the time we got home from work and Neal opened up the door to get Owen out and he said "dada."
Does that count? Was it deliberate? Did he know that was Daddy? He was only about 8 months old at the time. Or does it not count because he was babbling and was at the point developmentally where he was saying "dadada" a lot.
Austin first word we know was "ball." He was holding a ball, playing with a ball and said "ba." It was clear and we got to jot that one down for posterity.
What's funny is that Austin was and is Neal's mini-me is so many ways.. and "ball" was Neal's first word too.
Super appropriate, right?
So I've been trying to see if Owen says a word for anything, knowing what that item is that he's saying.
Well earlier this week he walked up to the counter where the fruit basket was, pointed at the bananas in there and said "nay-nah? nay-nah?"
Is that it??? The first word?? He knows that is a banana. He knows that is what he was communicating for... and the word he said is how little kids pronounce "banana."
So... that should count, right?
If it does count, then I'm officially creeped out.
While Austin is Neal's walking/talking mini-me... Owen is definitely mine.
And what was my first word?
"Nana" for "banana."
Creepy and weird and crazy, huh???
I think I'm going to count that as the first word because I love the parallels to Neal and I's first words, and well, like I said. he KNOWS what he is asking for and talking about.
And sidenote- the kid is OBSESSED with "nay-nahs" and scarfs a whole one in about 30 seconds and asks for more and more and more.
Anyone know how to buy a bushel of them?
2 comments:
Costco ;)
Love! It is so hard to tell! I remember getting wildly excited when Fiona started making sounds like "mama". Do you know what's crazy - I can remember her first sign was "doggy" but off the top of my head, first actual words are trickier! Cute post Jess.
Post a Comment