Today was a really special treat.. I got to spend time with Monique!
For being one of my closest friends, and a co-worker to boot, I do not get to spend enough time with this girl! We made plans to go to lunch and then to the Portland Aquarium.
I took just Austin along for the day... 1) because Owen is too little to enjoy what we had planned, and he is still a bit of a hassle at restaurants and such and 2) I am really trying to carve out one-on-one time with each kiddo. Austin spent all summer with just Neal and our bond suffered a bit. He and I really needed some just "Mommy and me" time.
Austin kept calling Liliana "Eliana" or "Elle" all day.. and every time Monique called me "Jess" he said "No, her name is Jessica. She's my mom."
We tried to explain nicknames to him but I think it went right over his head.
We took the kids to lunch and Austin actually ate! And sat in his chair! Almost 4 years after he's born and we can finally take him places. Ha.
After lunch we headed to the Aquarium.
So.. my thoughts on the Aquarium. It was fun to go check out, but pretty expensive to get in for what is was (almost $30 for just me and Austin) and anyone over the age of 6 would probably think it's pretty lame.
Our kids liked it though since they are little and don't know any better yet.
A lot of the displays were set up like tide pools, so it was very hands on. Austin refused to touch an anemone after I said it was sticky, but he had no problem touching the huge lizard.
There was a huge pool full of sting rays (or manta rays, I'm not sure) that you could buy little bits of fish to feed.
I didn't get any pictures because I was too much on high alert around those suckers.
They were AGGRESSIVE.
One JUMPED out of the water right near me... if they caught smell that you had food they all ganged up on you and poked their heads out of the water... flapping their wings and mouths at you..
Austin fed them one little piece of fish, wasn't too thrilled with how aggressive they were and gave the cup of fish to me to finish feeding them. You were supposed to hold the fish under the water and let the ray come up to you and take it from your fingers.
Screw that.
I dumped the cup of fish in the tank and moved on.
In much tamer exhibits there was a small shark, koi fish, ducks (!!!) and lots of tanks of Nemo fish, sea horses, etc..
Feeding the koi was much more our style.
They also had a big aviary where you could go in and feed the birds (I LOVE birds!!!) so I was all about that.
Austin started off thinking it was pretty fun.
Then they started landing on his head and he was not ok with that.. he freaked out a bit and wanted out of the aviary.
Me on the other hand...
The aquarium even had a girl dressed like a mermaid sitting on the rocks.. all in all, pretty fun but definitely more appealing to very small kids.
After our adventure we headed home and Poppa, Auntie Lori and Uncle Ricky came over to watch the Cubs game. I made a big pot of chili and some brownies.
Neal got stuck at the kid's table.
Owen loves to do "clinky" (give cheers) so he did clinky with Poppa and with me and couldn't have been more pleased with himself.
Despite our best cheering ju-ju.... the Cubs lost that night. And now they are out of the running to go to the World Series. Sad. Better luck next year Cubbies!

No comments:
Post a Comment