This post is more about the whole weekend because it was Neal and I's anniversary!!
5 years guys... it really went by in a flash. Maybe because we packed 5 years with buying our first house, moving, getting pregnant, having a baby, having another baby, buying our forever home, moving again... yikes.
I know Neal isn't big on public displays of affection.. but... I truly feel lucky to be married to him, and to be loved by him. He really is an amazing human being, in so many ways.
So now that the mushy bit is over.. on to our fun weekend!
We were kid-free!!!! Thanks Mom for taking the boys and letting us have some alone time!
The weekend was a surprise for me.. I knew we were going somewhere, but didn't know where, or what was going to happen along the way. Did I mention Neal is awesome? He's good with surprising me, and I love that...
We started off Thursday with breakfast at a little cafe..
Croissant Benedict and hemp milk latte... if this was all we were doing for our anniversary, I would have been happy!
Then we headed west (the one thing I did know was that we were going to the Coast) and stopped at a really awesome winery called Cubaisamo for some wine tasting! Neal has called ahead and told them it was our anniversary and had flowers waiting for me there.. the winery also gifted us a bottle of wine and two wine glasses.
We sat in the sun, drank wine, enjoyed the gorgeous day.. and a wasp plunged to it's death inside Neal's glass.
We hit up another winery as well, but I forget the name. We didn't like it as much, even though they did have some great views.
On to the coast! We left the glorious sunshine behind unfortunately and faced high winds and dense fog in Newport. You couldn't even see the ocean when you were standing a few feet away from it. And the winds....
But no biggie because the Coast can be pretty awesome when it's stormy and our whole plan involved doing a whole lot of nothing.
My other surprise was our hotel. It was actually a B&B, and it was called the Sylvia Beach Hotel. It was all themed on famous authors, full of antiques and had the entire 3rd floor made up in a floor to ceiling library!
We stayed in the Mark Twain room. We had a clawfoot tub, a balcony, a beautiful hand-carved bed, and a fireplace!
Being able to just sit.. and sleep, and relax without kids underfoot was amazing. We ate, we walked around, we sat on the balcony during the short morning hours we had sun (then it fogged over again!!) drank coffee, played board games..
On our actual anniversary we went out for a nice dinner and then got to open the bottle of wine that was gifted to us at our wedding. Neal's friend wrote in the card that we weren't allowed to drink it until our 5 year anniversary.. so it had been patiently waiting.
That was it.. a whole lot of just being together and talking and laughing (mostly funny stories about the kids.. we missed them!!!) and saying a million times "wow this is so nice to just get to sit here and relax!!"
Thank you Neal for the last fun, exciting, rewarding and loving 5 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment