Monday, April 9, 2012

Why I Suck at Stay-at-Home

One day I will start writing about things other than being a Mom. I promise.

I'll stop writing about my baby all the time, or my boobs, or my milk production, or sleeping habits.

But until something more interesting happens in my life, you will have to just deal with Mommy-issues.

If someone wants to buy me a vacation to Hawaii then I'd happily do some travel writing to get out of the Mommy-rut. :-)

For now though..

As I mentioned before, my maternity leave is almost over. In the total 14 weeks I spent away from work I got a glimpse as to what it's like to be a Stay At Home Mom.

They ain't lying when they say its the hardest job out there.

Some days I can't wait to get back to my spreadsheets, shipping issues, calculations, deadlines and data problems simply because I will feel like I'm on a blissfully easy vacation.

No screaming baby, no confusion over how to get the baby to sleep, no poop smeared up the baby's leg, no crying fits over my milk production (or lack thereof), no curdled regurgitation of food all down the front of my bra.

Spreadsheets? Ahhhh...... heaven.

Yep, I really think now that staying at home as a full-time Mom is not for me.

I am too vain.

I don't do well sitting around all day in sweats, with my hair resembling a bird's nest piled on top of my head in a scrunchie, or no make-up on and my dark under eye circles presented in all their glory.

Day after day of this really chips away at my self-esteem after awhile. Of course I'm rational and don't do my hair or make-up or get dressed if I have no where to go or am not going to see anyone... I mean, why would I?

But then I sit and sit and sit on the couch with my Bambino and feel ugly and sloppy.

I have realized I am just one of those people that has to get put together, made-up and have somewhere to go.

No joke, I get excited on days I have to go grocery shopping. I can put on jeans?????? Yesss!!!!!!!!

So when people ask me "how do you feel about going back to work at the end of this month?" I have to be honest with them...

Part of me is really looking forward to it. The challenge. The adult conversations. A reason to get dressed and do my hair everyday.

And I know the couch cushion is looking forward to regaining its original shape...

So it's really win-win situation. :-)

1 comment:

Jesica said...

You're so funny! And there you were in your pregnancy wishing you could stay at home ;-)

Dom almost never gets dressed or even showers when he's working from home, I have to FORCE him, it drives me nuts! I, on the other hand, get up and get dressed every day regardless of what I am doing. Granted sometimes I skip makeup but if I'm being honest I didn't wear makeup much when I worked anyway ;-)

Glad you didn't do something drastic like quit your job and THEN realize you'd rather work!

Good luck with your last few weeks as a SAHM!