Wednesday, January 9, 2013

San Diego Day #3- Iron Maidens, Pretty Toes and Burger Bloat

Day #3 in San Diego already! Here we go...

Iron Maidens, Pretty Toes and Burger Bloat

Neal and I headed down into Balboa Park with my Aunt and Uncle for the morning. Let me just say, Balboa Park is AMAZING. It's 1,200 acres (Central Park is about 800 acres, so imagine how big this place is!) filled with museums, gardens, fountains, cafes, concert areas, theaters, etc... 

The buildings were all light stone color and so intricate I immediately felt like I was back in Bath, England. 

We hit up the Museum of Man because everyone wanted I dragged everyone to see the Instruments of Torture display that is temporarily there. 

I know, I'm weird. Ancient torture instruments fascinate me. But Neal still loves me in spite of this, so all is ok with the world. They didn't allow pics to be taken inside the Torture exhibit, but it was all there.. an Iron Maiden, a rack, stocks, skull crusher, thumb screws, cages... what is even more wild is that a lot of the items were listed as "private collection." Someone OWNS these things! "Oh that, over there? Oh, that's just my Iron Maiden. Thought it went well next to Great Auntie Muriel's portrait." 

What the hell???

Anyways. If you can't tell, I was seriously in love with the architecture of the buildings in Balboa Park!! 





The Museum of Man was pretty cool... from cavemen to Mayans, they had it all.. including an actual Egyptian Pharaoh!!! Oh, wait, that's just my Uncle. 

I may be smiling but trust me, if this were a real throne, I would not be sharing it! Ha! 

Down from the museum a ways was an Arboretum, with a big Koi pong out front. My Aunt said it used to be filled with lily pads and Koi until unfortunately some hooligans partied there one night and jumped in the pond and disrupted the eco-system to the point that everything died. Seriously. Some people just deserve to be kicked.  It was still beautiful though, despite being empty. 

 Inside the Arboretum.. it was really peaceful and full of benches where you could sit and stay awhile. 

My beautiful Aunt and I sitting and staying awhile. 

For lunch we heading to a cafe called The Prado and I had the best beef and shrimp skewers of my life. They gave us homemade flatbread and hummus for appetizers and I was in love from the first bite. All I got a pic of though was my pear champagne cocktail. Too cute!

After our day at Balboa Park my Aunt and I went and got our nails done so I would be all pretty for New Year's Eve. Neal and I must have brought the weather with us a bit because it poured down rain while we were in the salon.

Since the rest of the afternoon was going to be rainy, we just headed home and did dinner at In-n-Out Burger and relaxed.

Isn't he cute???? I know, I'm a lucky girl!!! So for anyone who eats at In-n-Out and have ever wondered about their "secret" way of ordering, I researched it:

Anything "Animal Style" means with a secret sauce with chopped up grilled onions in it. You can customize the number of patties and slices of cheese you want to. It's a "number x number" system. A 2x2 is 2 patties, 2 slices of cheese. A 3x1 is 3 patties, and 1 slice of cheese. And so on. 

I totally opened up the mysteries of the universe, didn't I? Ha. 

In-n-Out was delicious  My pants hated me for it in the morning.  

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Awesome pics & that pear champ. drink looks fantastic! :-)