I realized there are some things I didn't document back in
my pregnancy that I think I’d like to remember one day down the road.
For example, how Neal and I spent our last day together
before Austin joined our family… so here is our tale..
I left work on Friday, January 21st with two
possible scenarios before me. We were going in the next day for a final
non-stress test to check Austin’s heartbeat, and to check my blood for any
signs of my liver or kidneys shutting down because of my insane high blood
pressure. Remember? At this point I was 140/104… dangerously high!
If the test came back as no good, they were going to admit
me and induce me right then and there. If the tests were ok, we were going to
stick with my already scheduled induction of Tuesday, January 24th.
The test came back fine, and the rest of the weekend we
spent running errands, cleaning the house, and we went out to dinner by ourselves
one last time on Sunday.
So then Monday January 23rd rolls around. The day before the big day. It was
‘go’ time at 10pm that night. How do you spend the day knowing you were going to
the hospital that night to get induced? I am not usually a calm person when it
comes to nervous situations like this, but oddly enough.. I remember being fairly calm that day.
I told Neal to force me to sleep as long as possible Monday
morning so I’d rest up. No popping up at 6am to “get shit done” like I usually
do.
He did a good job and I think I lasted in bed until about
8am. I can't help it. I'm not big on sleeping in.
To occupy ourselves we kept busy around the house and rented
a movie on On Demand to pass a few hours. We watched The Help and I tried to
eat a little lunch. My stomach was nervous, even if I didn't really feel it
elsewhere, and I managed some rice and that’s about it.
After the movie we headed out to NW 23rd area to
walk around and waste more time. Seriously… why did they schedule me to be
admitted at 10pm???? Couldn't we just get the show on the road already??? Trust
me, wasting time until 10pm before a huge life event makes for the longest day
EVER.
After wandering NW 23rd for a bit, we decided on
dessert at Papa Hyden’s to celebrate the day. I had coffee too. Which looking
back, that was really odd. Really? I needed to add to the fact that I felt a
bit jittery? Coffee at 5pm? When I was supposed to check into the hospital and
get a decent night’s sleep?
Good decision, Jess. Sheesh.
Anyway… we had several more hours to kill. We went home,
packed up our hospital bags and headed back into Tualatin. Somehow Neal convinced me to stop at Sports
Authority so he could wander around and look at sports stuff to his heart’s
content. I agreed for some reason, and mostly sat on a bench in the shoe
department because my elephant ankles were killing me.
Doo dee doo... don't mind me, just going to have a baby in a few hours.. oh, are those the new Nikes??
Finally we made it to 10pm and we walked into the Family
Birth Center at the hospital.
One of my best memories was a sweet nurse at the desk who
said “you must be Jessica!” I was the only preggo being admitted that night, so
they were expecting me. It was really nice to be welcomed like that. I think I
said something really clever like “yep! here to have a baby! Har har.” I mean OBVIOUSLY…
So Austin, if you are reading this (one day) that’s how your
folks spent the day before your arrival. Aren’t you so glad you came into such
an exciting family???
No comments:
Post a Comment