Definitely Top 3... along with London and the Oregon Coast.
I don't know if it's because I grew up going to San Diego a lot to see my Aunt or what, but there is something very familiar to me about the city, and I just feel happy and at home. I am so glad I got to share my love of the city with Neal, who came away as big of a fan as me!
So here is what went down on Day #1:
Sunshine, Navy Things, White Sand Beaches and Skittles
We arrived early and my Aunt Patty and Uncle Jeff picked us up and we were immediately off on adventures! First up was a jaunt over to Coronado Island and a tour of the Navy Base. My Uncle is a retired helicopter pilot, and was a great tour guide.
The USS Carl Vinson. My Uncle served on this carrier for many years. It is the carrier that disposed of Bin Laden's body.
![]() |
Check out those swaying palm trees! And what is that big blue thing? Egads!!!! Is that a SUNNY BLUE SKY???
After our tour around the Navy Base, we went over to the Hotel Del Coronado, which was all decked out for Christmas
We sat outside (in December! And it was warm! What is this madness???) on their deck cafe and kicked our feet up, had a cocktail, enjoyed the beach views and Neal actually got a bit sunburned!
I could have sat at the Hotel Del all day. I love the history and architecture of that place. It's easy to be transported back in time and imagine how it was for the upper class when they would vacation at the Hotel back in the day. Oh and its haunted. Give me haunted and I'm a happy girl!
After our cocktail break, we were off to do more Navy Things. We toured the USS Midway, which is permanently docked in San Diego bay and now a Naval Air museum. My Uncle's Dad served on the Midway in WWII, so it holds special meaning for us.
My Uncle was such a great tour guide... he knows everything about the Navy and their aircraft, and is a bit of a history nerd (like yours truly) and my Aunt said that people have followed him around on the Midway before because he was a better guide than the official audio guide available!!
It was busy up on the flight deck.
This is the actual helicopter my Uncle flew. Like the real deal. Not just the type he flew, but The One. Very cool to see that!
This helicopter was used to pick up astronauts from the Apollo missions. The teardrop looking things on the side each say a different Apollo mission. Remember the scene in the movie Apollo 13 where the helicopters pick up the astronauts from the water? Well there ya go. Here is the helicopter.
The flight deck crew are nicknamed "Skittles" because they each wear a different color depending on their job. Seriously. They are called that. I want to be a Skittle. I don't really look the part though.
Beautiful day and view from the Midway!!!
What a great way to kick-start our vacation! We just relaxed at my Aunt's that night and rested up for our busy days ahead.
We also got to cuddle with their two fur-babies whom are just the coolest, sweetest dogs ever
| Buddy... he slept with us each night! |
| Sadie... she looks like a little stuffed animal! |
Next up... Sea World!

















1 comment:
So Fun!!! Those dogs are ridiculously cute!!!
Post a Comment