Friday, August 24, 2012

The Real Mama World #3- Bye Bye Bang Bang



Alternate title: Trying to Leave the House in the Morning with an Infant and Too Many Bags

Neal and I have a morning routine down.

Like drop it like its’ hot kinda down.

We wake up at 5:30am. The little man wakes up right at the same time, or sometimes a bit before or a bit after.

Neal goes and gets Austin up out of bed and changes him, while I shuffle to the bathroom and start on  my hair and make-up.

Neal brings Austin in to our bathroom to say hi to Momma (complete with huge grins and happy wiggles) and then takes him downstairs for Breakfast and Sports Center- cereal for Daddy, a bottle for Austin and the Top 10 plays.

I finish getting ready and Neal brings Austin up so I can dress him and then he goes back downstairs to get his school bottles prepped.

Done getting dressed, Momma and baby go downstairs as well… baby plays, Mom gets her lunch together and then it’s into the carseat, and things gathered to leave.

Here is where things get hairy.

Every single day I leave the house with:

-my purse
-my bag of breakfast/lunch
-Austin’s bag of bottles/food
-my work laptop in a huge backpack (that they MAKE me take home every night)
-some other bag of either Austin’s clothes to keep at school, his washed blanket, a package of diapers or wipes, or SOMETHING)

Outside we go… Neal hauls Austin out and I wrangle all the bags, into the Subuaru we go…me focusing on putting my lunch in so it won’t topple over, getting my phone out in case of emergencies, etc…

Neal clicks in the baby, talks to him, goofs around, gives him a toy, lots of kisses, kisses good-bye for me too…. Put the car into reverse, one last wave as Neal is walking back into the house… and…

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I back up into our Mazda that was parked behind the Subaru in our driveway.

I look at Neal who is frozen at the front door and our faces say “did that JUST happen???’

Two seemingly intelligent adults who walked outside, NOTICED the cars parked in tandem, and STILL forgot in that fleeting moment when it was time to leave???

Really????

After Neal moved the Mazda (which dented the bumper of the Forrester a bit- damn Mazda!!) and I finally drive off, Neal texts me to say “well, we’ll  just chalk that one up to being distracted by a baby in the morning.”

Yep… that sounds good… better than “well, I guess you become a total ding-bat when you become a parent.”


1 comment:

Jesica said...

Dom did this to my car a year ago...long before baby! Sometimes these things just happen ;-)