Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Life Lately- Entertaining Ourselves Through Winter

Oh January... not my favorite month. The post-holiday slump, the bad weather.... if it weren't for Austin's birthday being in January I think I'd just skip this month altogether. 

We've managed to have some fun though, so let's start recapping!

 We went over to our friend's house for NYE. We had drinks and snacks and the kids ran wild and played. We tuned in to the 9pm East Coast ball drop and "celebrated" the New Year, then headed home to get the monkeys in bed. 


 When we bought our house we felt like it was pretty well updated... then we moved in and realized how many things are NOT nicely updated, or updated at all. Like all the ugly brass doorknobs the former owner spray painted brown. And let the brown pain chip off. So we've been slowly changing out knobs and door handles, light switch covers, etc.. the boys are thrilled with all the Home Depot trips because they think it's the best store ever!


 We went to a friend's house for brunch on New Years Day and took a walk to the George Fox campus. This little one gets tired legs a lot and asks me or Neal to "hole me".... so he got a Daddy ride.


 We have a movie night almost every week, so I asked for a popcorn popper for Christmas. It's healthier, and the boys think its fun to watch it pop. Now hopefully we can get them to pick something other than Finding Dory for the 8 millionth time.



 And this is what movie night really looks like. Piles of blankets and pillows and stuffed animals on the floor... two parents (hopefully with some wine or beer) and two cute kids. 



 Being stuck inside due to icky weather means imaginations have to go to work. And we have to break up fights over toys, or referee playing that gets too rough... so "why don't you guys go put on costumes?" seems to be suggested a lot. This day they both wanted to be tough Ninja Turtles! Other than Owen didn't really get the "tough" memo.


 Neal started being a volunteer coach for Special Olympics basketball. A few of the practices have fallen in the evenings.... which means I'm solo parenting and trying to entertain the kids however I can. They wanted to bury me in toys, so that's what happened. Then Austin wanted to take a picture. I shall call this masterpiece "My Life"


 We switched Owen over to a big boy bed the other weekend!! It was getting hard to lift him in and out of the crib, and the crib is going to Adam and Valerie for their new baby boy that is arriving in April! I'm so happy another sweet baby will get to sleep in that crib. We were worried Owen would wander around all night, but so far he has done great. I don't think he really realizes he can get out of his bed at night, so fingers crossed that just continues!! Austin had to try out the little bed as well, and then read Owen some stories and pretended to put him to sleep. :-)



 Yes babies are cute and sweet... but you know me. I LOVE having kids that I can go and do things with. And what's even better is having best friends with kids the same age that we can go and do things with together! Kenzie and I took Austin and her older two boys to see Sing. The boys loved the movie and the popcorn and we loved the reclining seats and the beer that's now served at our movie theater!


 After Austin and I got home from the movie, Owen and I cuddled on the couch for a bit and watched a cartoon. He didn't nap that day so I thought he could use some down time. Right after this picture I pulled a blanket up over us, which apparently was the last straw, because.....

 Boom. 
Little man just couldn't hang any longer. We tried to wake him up for dinner but he just kept fussing and lying down on the kitchen table bench, so Neal just took him up to bed. At 6pm. Two hours sooner than he usually goes to bed. Poor guy was EXHAUSTED.


 So we had a fun night with just Austin. He wanted to take a silly picture.


 The Star Wars obsession runs deep in our family... Dar Beder (Darth Vadar, according to Owen) is definitely the favorite. Owen got to dress up in brother's costume when he wasn't home one day. Shhhh. Don't tell Austin.


 Austin cracks me up. He saw the commercial for a Snuggi Tail and decided he REALLY wanted one for his birthday. Gramma Darlene got him one and he won't take it off. He walks around in it, he sleeps in it, he took it to school for Show-in-Share... Austin and the Snuggi Tail are about to announce their engagement I think.


This is what happened after Owen's epic couch-nap-really-early-bedtime. He slept over 12 hours and woke up fresh as a daisy.... with dandelion-poof hair. 



Speaking of hair... the boy's hair was out of control. Long, hard to comb, and they wouldn't sit still for Neal to give them cuts.... so we decided it was time to take them to a real barber. They did so good and looked so handsome afterwards! 


Owen has been having a hard time at drop-lately... so we came up with the plan of dropping off Austin in the same room in the mornings. Austin loves hanging with the little kids, and Owen adjusts much better since brother gets to stick around for a bit. It's worked really well this last month or so, and I get pictures from the teacher showing me all the fun they have together in the mornings!

No comments: