Monday, February 6, 2017

When You Turn 5... You Get ALL The Birthday Parties!!

It was a busy few weeks, celebrating our first-born and his very special birthday! 

Pretty much from the time Austin could talk he wanted to be 5 years old (like Mother like Son, ask my Mom... I was obsessed with being 5 too) so there was a lot of build-up to this birthday, and we tried our best not to disappoint.

Our first celebration was the Saturday before his birthday with just family at our house...

A chalkboard artist, I am not. I tried.


Gramma and Grampa came up a bit before the party and the boys wanted Grampa to read story after story. 


For the first time we ordered a cake for Austin. He's getting more opinionated about what he wants for his parties and cakes, and there was no way I was going to try and make a Star Wars cake. Needless to say, it was the star of the show and they just kept wanting to look at it! The Darth Vadar thing was a removable plastic piece that turned on and actually did the Darth Vadar breathing. Pretty cool.


The cake inspired a change of clothes and Austin wanted to put on his Darth Vadar costume. He couldn't wait to open presents and got the Darth Vadar (shocker- he's obsessed) stuffy he saw at Target!


A Star Wars fighter spaceship!!


So cool!


A Stormtrooper action figure!!


Star Wars Pez dispensers!! 



Oh the Snuggi Tail. He saw the commercial for this and wanted one so bad, so Gramma Darlene got him one. He hasn't taken it off and has taken it into school for Show-n-Share and everything.


Then came the blue icing. Oy. When we ordered this cake, it was the only Star Wars version the bakery offered.. so we went with it. I didn't even pay attention to the fact that it had dark blue/black icing, and what that would entail. One bite later and it hit me... oh lord. BLUE ICING


Let's just say, the blue icing came out the other end too. Ugh. Never again.... if he's still in to Star Wars next year, we will get a WHITE Stormtrooper cake or something!


I'm so glad my big boy will still fit into my arms!!!


Tuesday January 24th arrived.. the big day!!! The day that I remember so much about. The rain that came down, the back labor I had that I thought would break my body in half, pulling Austin out of my body myself, and the huge sobs that came afterward when I finally put him on my chest. The first thing I ever noticed about him was his eyelashes and how beautiful he was.


Austin got a little party at school that day with his friends (I joined them for snack and brought mini donuts for their treat) then we went home. When Daddy arrived he had the coolest balloons ever! I didn't even know they made a Star Wars balloon. That thing is still alive and kicking, by the way.


Then Austin got to open gifts from us, and got.... wait for it.... Star Wars stuff. Man, I wish he could stay 5 forever.. he's so easy to shop for!!


His other obsession is Legos, so a Star Wars Lego figure was his favorite toy of the bunch!


My exuberant child is also a fan of dressing up, so he got a soldier costume! 


After presents we had the exact dinner he asked for (hamburgers) then went and got "ice cream"... which is frozen yogurt, but do NOT call it yogurt or he'll get mad because he "doesn't LIKE yogurt!!" so in our world, it's ice cream.


Oh, how he came into this world like a hurricane... faster than my body could adapt too, faster than the epidural could accommodate for... but man I'd relive all that pain again in a heartbeat for him. 


Gramma Darlene was up visiting Aunt Patty so they joined us for ice cream! 

Austin told me later he had "the best birthday!!!" and I was really, really happy his day was special.

Then, our third and final party was for his friends on the Saturday after his birthday. We had it at a pizza parlor that is pirate themed.

This was our first "real kid" party where we did the party packs, let the pizza parlor put out the decorations and all that jazz.. and it was awesome! So nice not to have to plan, or bring anything to set up, or have to clean up afterwards!


All the little friends had fun!!


On his 5 year old Personal Goals list- learn to actually look at me when I'm taking a picture.. his eyes lately are distracted by everything else. Owen, as you can, really enjoyed the pizza.


The party packs for the kids came with arcade tokens, so all the kids got tiny plastic ninjas for you know, like 300 tokens (eye roll).... at least the pirate hats were an option and a big hit!


Yar! Thar she blows!!!! All three of Austin's Big 5th Birthday Celebrations!

No comments: