Well, 2017... haven't you started off with a bang.
Or should I say, a dump? As in dump of snow upon snow upon ice with a dash of freezing rain and more snow!
So the we started off a long Snowmageddon Adventure on Saturday, 1-7. That day all we got was about an inch, maybe two inches...but it was enough for my hair appointment to be canceled, and the boys to go out and have some fun.
Seeing as we don't usually get snow, the boys don't have snow pants, or snow boots... and until very recently, didn't have snow gloves. Apparently we need to get them better outfitted, since rolling around the snow is their favorite thing.
We went for a walk around the neighborhood that Saturday. It was really cold and the snow was more icy than fluffy.
The neighbors down from us were out sledding (their kids are older than the boys) and had some trucks out too, which the boys quickly helped themselves too, after I nervously looked around going "is it ok if we play with their toys? Do you think they care??" I think since they both go to daycare, they are used to any toy laying around being up for grabs. We have to work on the lessons of personal possessions, asking permission, etc.
Neal guarding Owen from the storm drain which he had already slipped and had one leg go down. Maybe he wanted to go visit the Ninja Turtles in their underground lair.
Austin wanted so badly to eat snow. I think he was a little disappointed that it tasted like nothing.. I'm not sure what he was expecting.... maybe sweet like sugar since it looks like it??
Owen has to do everything brother does, naturally. Snow snack for two, please!
So that snow melted quickly and we had a few normal days... then by Tuesday, 1-10 we had a weather warning that we were going to get snow again. My hair appointment had been changed to that day, so I went and got my hair did, and by the time I was home at 7pm, it was starting to come down.
Neal and I didn't take the weather warning too seriously, assuming we were going to get another inch or two of dusty, dry snow... but what we woke up to made us realize we were fools.
Snow like whoa.
Almost nine inches of that perfect, thick, fluffy snow! Naturally no one went to work that day, the whole Portland area shut down, so we had a whole day to play!
They've never seen snow like THIS and couldn't get over how thick it was!
I wish the snow would melt on the roads but stay in the trees forever.
We went for a walk around our neighborhood and Owen's little legs got tired, but he was still so happy to be out in the "mo!"
Henry darn-near got swallowed, but he had a blast tearing through the snow and running his little heart out!
So pretty!!!!
I had to carry Mr. Snowball back on the last leg of our walk. He was shivering and so covered in snowballs his legs could barely move.
The management overlooking the labor in the building of our snowman.
Owen was such a big helper!! He loved his "mo-man"
Our "mo-man" was quite fabulous with this floral hat. And his chocolate chip eyes (because we couldn't find any rocks).
When you don't have a sled... you figure something out. The laundry basket worked surprisingly well as a sled!
It was such a fun day in the snow! I'm so glad we got a true winter for a little bit.. even if it was followed by ice and freezing rain and terrible road conditions. The bad was far outweighed by the good.
No comments:
Post a Comment