I was hoping we'd have a cool nickname for Owen.... we called Austin "The Great Bambino" and all his blog posts got that tag... we called Owen "Baby Yeah" for a bit because Austin came up with that nickname.. but then when we decided on a name, it became "Baby Owen" and that seemed to really stick. We still call him that constantly.
So he might be Baby Owen until he's 18.
Here is how things are at 1 month!
-We should have named him Grunty McNurse-a-lot. For obvious reasons.
-Weighs 8lbs 2oz. I did a scientific weigh-in by weighing myself, then weighing again while holding him. Still in newborn sized clothes but getting close to being in the next size.
-Totally loves the front pack. Like LOVES it. I wear him in this everywhere we go, around the house, cooking, eating dinner, blogging.. everything. Thank heavens for front packs!
-Does not sleep consistently. Not even close. Some days we have really good days. He nurses, then sleeps and wants to nurse 2-2.5 hours later. Repeat. Other days he only cat naps for about 20 mins all day long. Some nights we get some good chucks- 5 hours!!!- other nights we are up from midnight to 6am, trying to get him to sleep.
-Nursing is going good. He is down to about 20-30 mins total, nurses from both sides and I feel like my supply is good. Yeah! I've also gotten more comfortable with nursing when and where we need to... parking lots, the zoo, the beach, a playground. I am still proud to be exclusively breast-feeding!!
-He likes his carseat.. if its not in the car. We've gone on morning walks and now have him sleep at night in his seat and it's working fairly well so far.
-He is very "chatty" like Austin was... likes constant attention, doesn't like to be put down, grunts and coos and fusses constantly. Not a lot of quiet around our house nowadays..
![]() |
| "Ma!!! Where are my boobs???" |
-Is strong and holds his head up well, pushes against me and already likes to "stand" while being held. Another active explorer, I think.. yikes.
-Is a total Mommy's boy. When Austin was a baby I was always a bit sad that he wasn't super cuddly or attached to me. Austin loved Neal. He slept on Neal a lot, was comforted by Neal more than me.. now with Owen, I got my "wish" (careful what you wish for!!). He doesn't really like anyone other than me and will fuss and cry if I leave the room, or if he's away from me for too long. He calms down instantly with me and snuggles in.
![]() |
| sorry for the nursing bra pic, but that's my reality!! |
-If he is ok with being put down, he likes to just kick it out on a blanket.. the lights of the TV and the spinning ceiling fan already capture his attention.... as do stories from Daddy.
-Overall, he's a bit of a difficult newborn. Trying to figure out how to get him to sleep well, the fact that some days he wants nothing other than to nurse constantly, the very passionate LOUD cry when he's upset.. it's been a month in learning patience and finding our groove as a family of four.... but the cuteness makes it worth it!
And how is Austin??
In some ways, amazing. He loves to "see" Owen and tells people that's his baby brother. He kisses him and wants to hold him and give him pacifiers and show him toys.
He is also having his struggles. He wants to be carried while we are walking more often. He's whining A LOT. He's fake crying over little things a lot more. It's all attention-seeking and him trying to adjust to all the attention given to Owen, so we are trying to get through it day-by-day. Some days are hard... with major tantrums over EVERY.SINGLE.THING, some days are better.
Two animated, active, loud boys...
If anyone is ever bored, come on over to my house. You won't be after 5 minutes.. I promise!!












1 comment:
Eeee, itty bitty baby snuggles! I wonder if you picked up the "baby Owen" thing from us. We constantly say "baby Fiona" when we're around other kids. It's like your reinforcing the fact there is a tiny person around and to be cautious. Owen weighs exactly what Fiona did at birth - that's a crazy thought! I never got to see her super duper little. :) I am SOOOO happy you love the k'tan. It was a life saver for me too. I liked how people wouldn't touch her while she was in it when we went out too. Cozy little safety nest. Also, as you probably remember Fiona was/is a mama's girl too. It does get better - little by little. I am still the only one who can sooth her at night though. Ugh. Oh - and also, we're lucky if we get 5 hours straight still. I'm chalking it up to having an active kid at this point. Love you lots! xx
Post a Comment