I had forgotten how crazy the first few weeks with a baby are... the constant nursing, the no sleeping, getting used to hearing crying again...
And then you add in having a toddler... and life very quickly got really crazy. We made it though, and here is how little Owen checks in at 2 weeks old..
![]() |
| Day we came home from the hospital |
-Weighs 6lbs 14oz (8% for weight)... 20.5" long (42% for length)... So he's still our little dink. He gained 11oz in just a little over a week! More than they expect newborns to gain, so I feel proud of both of us for getting that weight piled on!
-Is exclusively breastfed! It may seem silly, but I'm proud and overjoyed to have made it even this far. We had to supplement Austin with formula 3 days after he was born because I didn't have any milk for him to eat... so making it 2 weeks of just me and my boobs... that is a huge accomplishment in my world.
-Is a crazy-arm flailing sleeper just like his big brother. Those long skinny arms get into all kinds of weird positions.
-Is not the best sleeper... he usually takes a few good long stretches in the morning, and then is more awake and erratic in the afternoon and evening. His days and nights are mixed up. Sometimes he eats and immediately goes into a milk drunk sleep.. sometimes he has to be soothed to sleep and is a little more difficult to get down.
-Speaking of nights... we've had a few legit sleepless ones. We will go to bed around 9pm and Owen and I are still awak at 4am... constantly nursing, trying to soothe him, shush him. To be honest, I get close to loosing my mind on those nights. A person can't function on no sleep at all. And to have him be so fussy and cluster nurse like a piranha is exhausting.
-He's very oral and talkative like Austin was. A lot of grunting and groaning and whimpering noises.. even while he sleeps. He makes the same "eee-yah, eee-yah" noise Austin did when he's hungry.
-Speaking of hungry... this is my boob kid. Wow. He was a little piggy on me the first few days of his life... trying to get my milk to come in, and come in it did. Holy porn boobs!! I had to sit with ice packs on my chest, they hurt so bad.
-He is a pretty erratic nurser as well... we are definitely NOT on any kind of "nurse, then 2 hours later he'll be hungry again" schedule. So that has made having visitors over a bit hard. Everyone wants to come see us, which is awesome... but Owen is not that content to be with anyone but me for very long. Sometimes we get a few hours between nursing, sometimes only 20 mins.
-He has long skinny chicken legs and long skinny funny feet and toes. I totally adore them!
-He hates diaper changes, and wasn't that impressed with taking a bath, either.
-Austin seems to be adjusting ok. He wants to "see Baby Owen" a lot so I have to show him his face and usually confirm that yes, that's Baby Owen, and no, he is no longer in my tummy. We've had some sweet moments with Austin giving Owen kisses, we've also had some "be careful!!" moments where Owen has almost gotten squished...
So there we are... life in a nutshell is all about nursing, boobs, grunting, soothing and more nursing.
We are surviving.. and enjoying getting to know Owen!!!







1 comment:
Eeeee! He is so cute! Go you! Breastfeeding is so much work and you're awesome for giving it your all. :) Ouch - when your milk comes in it's so painful isn't it? Ugh - I remember it well!! Fiona did the same thing, practically camped on my boobs and I basically had an oversupply for a long time. She also wanted to be with me and pretty much only me for awhile too. She's much better now! :) Wish we were there and could come hang out! Loves! xoxo
Post a Comment