Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hopes for Round #2

So… pregnancy #2… (no it has not happened yet!!!) but it is hopefully in the near-ish future, so of course I'm thinking about it... wondering about it... 

and there are a few things that popped into my head as far as what I hope WILL happened again, and what WON'T happen again:


What I Hope WON'T happen again:

-that pregnancy becomes my excuse to eat like crap. Let's face it. I ate a whole jar of nacho cheese by myself, stopped at Taco Bell one too many times and made Dairy Queen my second home. Not happening round #2. I’ll give into some cravings, but my body will not be treated as a garbage disposal again. 

-that I become lazy. So… I didn’t exercise much with Austin. I tried too, and in the early months I did great with walking all the time, but as the weather turned bad I stopped making an effort and I really should have tried to continue with yoga or stretching or something.
2.       
     -  that I fear the needle. I got pretty used to all the poking they do to you during a pregnancy, and the epidural is your friend. I will concentrate my fear on the real enemy- nurses who can’t put in an IV well.

-the “first time Mom jitters” and freak out about every little thing. Being pregnant with Austin went something like this… “OMG! That Caesar salad dressing has RAW EGG YOLKS IN IT! I CAN’T EAT RAW EGGS! OMG OMG OMG!!!” Talk to my Dr. in a panic to ask for advice. He laughs. Tells me to calm the hell down. Ok, so not in those words… but let’s just say a lot of things out there are scare-tatic type things. You will not deform your baby by eating a salad with some Caesar dressing on it.

-that I feel like a failure and beat myself up mercilessly if I don’t produce much milk or can’t nurse. The things I said to myself the first time were ugly. I’m ashamed I ever thought I was a horrible Mom because my body didn’t make much milk. Too many tears were shed about it and the next time, I’ll know that the most important thing is that my baby is fed. Whether by my body or by a bottle, it doesn’t matter.

-that I swell up to the size of the Michelin Man again. I gained 60lbs with Austin, and almost half of that was water weight. Seriously, folks. I’m not exaggerating to make myself sound better. I left the hospital over 40lbs lighter than I entered because my damn swelling finally went away. The swelling was miserable. My Dr. said that my gestational hypertension is more common in first pregnancies and subsequent ones, so fingers crossed I won’t have another high blood pressure pregnancy.
So bad... 
So very very bad... 



And What I Hope Will Happen…..

- that baby #2 is kind to me in the 1st trimester, like Austin was. I didn’t have any sickness and I know I’m lucky. I don’t think my co-workers in the cubes next to me would appreciate hearing me barf at my desk.

-that my boobs get the memo that I’m pregnant this time. The one chance in a small-chested girl’s life where I can enjoy big ol’ boobs for a bit and what do mine do? Nothing. I didn’t even need bigger bras during my first pregnancy. They grew maybe one size. I want to fill out a top for once! Just for a little bit!!

- that I will listen to Neal more when he says “everything will be fine” while I’m in the midst of stressing over finances, or how we’ll get out the door in the morning, or some other parenting issue. I didn’t believe him once the first time around and just kept-a-stressing… and you know what? He was right. Yes, I just said that out loud.

- that I will get to be pregnant a bit longer with #2. I was induced with Austin at 38 weeks exactly and I think that led to his jaundice which led to his nursing problems. Stupid high blood pressure. I hope and pray to cook #2 inside me for a bit longer. I’d like to know what the “going into labor” thing feels like. I know what “arriving at the hospital” feels like, so maybe I’ll get to experience the other side of the coin?

- that I will enjoy pregnancy a bit more. The first time I was caught off guard, felt unready, worried about money, worried about daycare, worried about leaving my job for 3 months and didn't really stop to appreciate what was happening to my body or try and bond with pregnancy. 




No comments: