Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Wise Old Wives

I love Old Wives Tales.

I don’t know who these Old Wives were, or where they came up with their information, but anytime or any situation there can be an Old Wives Tale whipped out and considered, I’m all about it.

Pregnancy is LOADED with these.

Apparently these Old Wives spent a good amount of time talking ‘bout them babies… when they weren’t busy cookin’ for them darn menfolk, I suppose.

Ok, that was my Old Wives impression… I’ll stop now.

Anyways… being pregnant you hear tons of these OWT’s regarding your baby’s gender… because this is the funnest guessing game ever invented.

I always felt deep down, that I was pregnant with a boy. I just felt it, I knew it, I dreamed it… so I wasn’t surprised one bit when the Ultrasound Tech found Bambino’s little penis on the scan.

Did you miss out seeing it? Well here ya go… here is my son’s penis!!!
Love how the arrow points out the obvious!

But before it was confirmed Bambino was a male, all the OWT’s pointed in that direction. They actually rang true for me almost 100%..

Tale #1
You will carry lower and more compact (basketball under your shirt kinda belly) with male babies.
Check.
Back in Week 20, right before we found out the sex.. and definitely a "ball" under my shirt!

Tale #2
Male babies will make you crave salty foods, not sweets.
In the early weeks of my pregnancy, I wanted absolutely nothing to do with sweets. I wanted Taco Bell, enchilada sauce, marinara sauce, pizza, tomato soup with salty parmesan cheese melted in it, veggies with ranch dip, hummus, spaghetti, anything Italian... definitely all salty cravings.

Tale #3
Craving Mexican food means you are having a boy.
Uh… see answer above. Yo quiro Taco Bell!!!

Tale #4
No morning sickness means you are having a boy.
I did not throw up once. I didn’t even get close to throwing up once. I had a few days of feeling “off” but absolutely no sickness.

Tale #5
If the husband gains no weight, the wife is having a boy.
Yup. Neal is just as fit and trim as he always was… being dwarfed by his expanding wife…

Tale #6
The Mother’s age plus the year of conception can determine gender. If they are both even or both odd, it’s a girl. If you have one even, and one odd, it’s a boy.
Even- my age of 30. Odd- the conception year 2011.

Tale #7
Hold a wedding ring tied to a string over the belly. A back-n-forth pendulum motion is a boy.
We had a very distinct, strong pendulum motion when we did this.

Out of all my perusing of OWT’s, I only came across two that weren’t true for me….

Untrue Tale #1
If you break out in acne, it means you are having a girl.
I was soooo broken out in my 1st Trimester…  zits in my hair, on my arms, on my neck…but see penis picture above. Not a girl.

Untrue Tale #2
A faster heartbeat (over 140 bpm) usually means the baby is a girl.
Bambino’s first heartbeat at 8 weeks was a whopping 175! It’s been up in the 150’s since. Again, please refer to penis picture above. Not a girl.
Bambino's first photo shoot... Week 8. It was "heart-racing" in more ways than one!


I'm anxious to know if the truth behind the OWT saying that if you have heartburn in your pregnancy, it means your baby will have a full head of hair... because as you all know... I'VE HAD MAJOR STUPID LAME FRICKIN FRACKIN HEARTBURN FOR WEEKS!

I'm not annoyed with it or anything...

But I better get a full head of hair I can style and play with and gel-up into faux-hawks and such out of this whole deal.

Ta-Ta for now all!!!


 

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Loved reading all these, how neat!!! :-)