Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Glynn Family Tree Trimming Extravaganza!!!

I have been thinking a lot about traditions lately, probably spurred on by the fact that Neal and I are soon going to become a family and that’s when most people start new traditions.

Some of my tradition-pondering has also been spurred by all the other blogs I read, and all the posts lately of what traditions these girls have within they families and within their marriages… and I realized I was envious of all the traditions floating around out there that revolve around Christmas.

I had certain Christmas traditions growing up…. My family always celebrated on Christmas Eve with a huge buffet of appetizers and drinks and opening presents, and there was the making and delivering of dozens of cookies each year, and the anticipation of our Advent Calendars so we could get that piece of candy each day.

I want to make sure Bambino’s childhood not only honors my (and Neal’s) family’s set traditions, but is filled new traditions Neal and I start that will be unique and special to our little family.

I am so determined to do this I literally sent Neal an email outlining my plans to kick off some “Glynn Family Traditions.”

Hey, I’m organized. I can’t help it.

And maybe a bit anal.

But don’t judge. It’s the holidays.

Thank goodness he loves me…

Anyways…

One of the traditions I want to start is making a big event out of getting and decorating our Christmas Tree. I LOVE Christmas trees… the smell, the lights, how they make a room look magical when they are all lit up.. so that was my first thought when I started scheming on traditions we could start.

So I’m proud to introduce… the 1st Annual Glynn Family Trim-the-Tree Extravaganza!!!

<drumroll……>

Ok, first off.. we had to get a tree! That’s usually a pretty important piece to the puzzle. If you don’t have a tree, you are stuck with our pathetic version of a “tree” from last year:
uh, yeah. It's just down-right sad, isn't it?? 

So this year, for the real deal, we ventured out one Sunday with McKenzie and her lil’ family to find the perfect one:

Hunting for something just right... and small enough.. and cheap enough...


 Conquering it, slaying it, and showing it who's boss...


Then we got down to the business of decorating! We made a fun dinner, put on a Christmas movie, and got down to decking the tree out! I can't wait until next year when Bambino can "help" us with the tree decorating!


Behold!


(ooohh fancy fish-eye lens on new camera!) 


**disclaimer- a fancy new camera does not a photographer make.. as you can very well see! Be nice.. I'm learning still and I'm lucky I remembered to take the lens cap off**




And a quick tour of the rest of our Christmas decor (because I have been waiting to decorate my first real house for Christmas ever since we moved in last March!)


The birdhouse from our wedding even got decked out with a holiday wreath...


The mantle... (just ask Neal about my obsession with the mantle... I begged and begged for the TV to NOT go above our fireplace, despite how "totally sick it would be" just so I could have a mantle to decorate for the holidays... the hubby gave in on that one!)




The banister.... (thanks to my Momma for the awesome light up garland!) This is where the fur children's stockings went.. including a teeny one for Bambino!



So how's that for some holiday cheer around the Glynn casa?? 


I hope everyone has a jolly, cozy, wonderful holiday!! Blog at ya next week after some major holiday food eating, movie watching, game playing and lounging around!


Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Your house is lovely, gorgeous, and I love it! :) Happy Christmas to you!!!

Lauren said...

Love all your decor and especially your mantle and staircase beautiful!!! :-)