I had to do a whole post on how Cubbie came to be part of our family.. because it's a cute story.
Neal and I started talking about getting another dog early in 2020. We knew Henry was getting older (he'll be 12 this year!) and he was slowing down right as the boys were getting older and really wanting to play and interact with a dog. Henry just wants to sleep and gets really grumpy if you try and play with him too much.
So I started "casually" looking... I scrolled through PetFinder, and Googled dog adoption (we knew we wanted an adult rescue, we did not feel like going down the puppy route) and started to follow Oregon Dog Rescue on Facebook. Over the Summer of 2020 a few dogs popped up that I thought were cute, and I filled out applications for. I never heard back about them. Adoptions were at an all time high during the pandemic, so I figured it would take awhile.
Flashforward to October 29th 2020. It was a Thursday and I was working from home, and it happened to be my boss's birthday. I got on Facebook to send her a message, and Cubbie's cute face popped up on my feed, posted by Oregon Dog Rescue.
Isn't he so handsome in his little shelter portrait??? Something about him really gut-punched me and I thought "this is him!!!! this is the dog!!!!" He looked like a mini Golden Retriever and was just so cute.So I immediately started filling out an application and yelling to Neal in the other room that we might have found our dog! The shelter called me about 20 mins after I submitted our application and said that they had an opening that day at 4pm if we wanted to come meet him. Since I was already home, we decided to do it.
We had to bring Henry with us so they could meet, and when they brought Cubbie to us, he was really shy. I picked him up and rocked him like a baby and he relaxed pretty quickly. The boys fed him bits of cheese (his favorite) and Neal snuggled him too. Henry sniffed at him and was indifferent, which they said was awesome since he wasn't being aggressive at all.
The shelter had just gotten him in the night before, and they named him Filbert. We thought that name was funny and we wanted to call him "Fil" and that would be cute along with Henry's name. The shelter told us we could change that name since they just dubbed him Filbert and he wasn't used to it. We tried that name out and he didn't respond to it (naturally)... so we tried "Cubbie" since Neal is such a Cubs fan and we always thought that would be a fun dog name.
And... he responded to Cubbie!!!
Well, that was it then. We told the shelter worker we wanted him!! They finished up paperwork and off we went with our new pup!
Since we weren't really expecting to get a dog so fast, we had to stop at Freddy's on the way home to get another leash, a collar, another food bowl... etc. While Neal was in the store I called my parents to let them know they had a new granddog!!
Cubbie was a bit anxious the first night at home and kept jumping off our bed to sniff and explore.
He finally calmed down and slept pretty good through the night. The next morning he laid with me in the bathroom while I got ready for work.










No comments:
Post a Comment