I got a lot of great comments from my friends about my weight issues post the other day, including some good tips on how to change my diet to help me with my weight loss.
I’ve actually been researching different “diets” and ways of eating to see if any of these are for me.
So far, I haven’t found anything because of one major hitch- I stopped eating dairy.
<Ok, ok.. truth- I cheat sometimes. There was a baby shower and some fondue that needed to be consumed… so.. let me rephrase:>
I eat dairy-free 95% of the time.
The story goes like this…
For my whole life I’ve had what I always classified as a “sensitive stomach.” It seemed like almost everything I ate would give me indigestion, gas and bloating. I battled my whole adult life with this… trying probiotics, medicine, antacids, herbs… everything I could think of and anything I could find out there that was supposed to help align your digestion.
Nothing worked. NOTHING.
So then I get knocked up… and milk and dairy becomes one of my BIGGEST cravings… and I felt amazing everytime I consumed it. Especially Oreo Blizzards.. mmmmm…
Then after I had Austin I continued eating pretty much how I was eating when I was pregnant.. and the stomach pains started coming back.
When I was nursing we started to experience the whole “fussy baby who acts like he has gas” thing and of course the first thing Lactation Nurses will tell you to do if you are nursing is to cut out dairy and see if that helps your baby’s gas.
So I did.
And lo and behold… no more stomach pains. NONE!
The things that I thought used to give me gas, like peppers and beans, no longer did. Why ? because before I was eating those things as a Mexican feast with cheese and sour cream. On their own, they didn’t bother me a lick.
Not only did the no dairy help Austin, but it was immensely helping me too, so I stuck with it even after we were done nursing.
Now that dairy is no longer part of my life, I have started to rely on other foods to fill me up and excite my taste buds… and most of these foods do contain carbs.. we eat mostly protein, veggies, stir fries, currys, rice, pesto pastas, things like that.
So what is the problem you ask?
Well, the two major “diets” I’ve looked into- Paleo and Eat Right for Your Blood Type- have conflicting info regarding dairy and carbs, so now I’m conflicted.
Paleo says to eat what cavemen would have eaten: berries, nuts, protein… no dairy, no grains.
Ok, well I can do the no dairy thing easily.. but no grains I have a hard time with. I just simply don’t like meat and eggs enough to eat eggs every morning and meat every night. I would get so damn bored. I like my oatmeal for breakfast and my occasional pasta or rice for lunch/dinner…
The blood type diet says that my blood type (A+) should be a vegetarian. So no meat, soy protein only, and…. Plenty of dairy and carbs.
Well, I’m not going to do that because I don’t want to go down the dairy thing again.. and I don’t want to start increasing my carb intake because I cut out meat.
So what the hell do I do???
Naturally I ask my husband. Being a health teacher and athletic person, he is a huge advocate of the “Just Don’t Eat Crap and Exercise” diet.
In his opinion, grains (good grains) are important, meat is important, dairy is important (if you can stomach it) and exercise if very very important.
So to make living with him easier, I’m following his advice.
All grains I consume will be whole grains, multi-grains, etc.
Dairy is still out (except the occasional fondue)
Fruit and veggies a-plenty.
Meat and eggs and protein when I feel like it.
And I just gotta get off my ass.
He’s skinny. His tummy is flat… maybe the man knows what he’s talking about…
2 comments:
Good luck girl :-)
The paleo thing just means you gotta get creative. You don't have to have eggs every morning and meat/veggies every night. We make casseroles, taco salads, meatballs and mashed "potatoes" (mashed cauliflower really), soups and stews are pretty easy to make paleo. Breakfast can be a challenge if you don't like eggs but that can be your "cheat" and have oatmeal some mornings without beating yourself up about it and if you have oatmeal in the morning than don't have the pasta or rice for dinner THAT night. If you want pasta for dinner make the rest of the day purely paleo. It really is the carbs that make you hold on to weight and if you cut them out...or at least the majority you'll see the weight melt off. Dom lost like 20 pounds when we first started it and has managed to keep it off the last 3 years even though we've relaxed our paleo eating.
Good luck, it's really hard in the beginning but totally worth it!!!
Post a Comment